Wednesday, January 29, 2014

It Started with a Photo

Yesterday, I took the girls to the South FL Fair. With a high of 80F, we were in sandals and short sleeves. It was a fun time, and except for the warm weather, it was much like the Altamont Fair we visit in NY every year.

Then I got a text from my mom, a photo through the window at her work, and the message, "Snowing at CASA". Well, that doesn't happen too often in Birmingham, and I thought: neat, enjoy, I am glad I am not there.

Next come the replies (she had sent it to all of us kids), of snow in other parts of the city. Then more, the snow was sticking. The roads were getting bad, everyone should just get home. Those on the roads were not getting far, cars were sliding, the snow continued. Standing at the fair, watching the girls having fun in the sunshine, it was a surreal moment, realizing my family in Birmingham were in an increasingly difficult, potentially dangerous winter weather event.

In the end, some family got home, others did not, but all at least were in warm, if not quite comfortable shelter (one spent the night with about 30 others in a Walgreen's). I am glad it did not turn into a disaster for us, though I know it was not fun, and still others had it worse.

All that time, I was getting a little bit sunburned,  worried about loved ones in a paralyzing winter event. After so many winters in NY, my brain had some difficulty processing it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment